Thursday, June 19, 2008

Dinner Theaters, and a Meme

Have you ever been to a dinner theater? No, I don’t mean the type where a mystery needs to be solved while you eat. Although, I have heard those can be fun. I’m talking about a movie theater, in which you can order dinner, and eat it while you watch the movie.

Well, in my area I thought this type of theater was extinct.

There was one, I went to years ago, and it was a lot of fun, and at that time you could smoke inside, while watching the move, and eating dinner; which was a plus for me, back then, because I smoked. (an aside: kudos to myself…I quit cold turkey, and haven’t looked back for 4.5 years!)

Back to my point, so the one I went to has been gone for a long time, and I didn’t see anymore sprouting up, and just figured they didn’t make any money, no market for it etc.

Well, today I found out two things that made me happy!

1. There is a dinner theater in my area doing renovations, and it will be open mid-summer.

2. Also, I read an article, about the city, that said two more were opening, and some to follow, when the need arises, which they think it will.

Dinner, Drinks, and Movies all in one place! As you can see, again, it’s the little things. :)

So, tell me about your experiences with dinner theater…are there any in your area?


Now, a movie meme that I took from Jay at Cynical Bastard. I thought it was appropriate considering my post’s topic!

1. One movie that made you laugh: Wow…there are tons, but picking one. The 40 Year Old Virgin.

2. One movie that made you cry: Beaches

3. One movie you loved when you were a child: Poltergeist

4. One movie you've seen more than once: Star Wars: A New Hope

5. One movie you loved, but were embarrassed to admit it: I’m not embarrassed of any movie I’ve watched. It doesn’t matter to me what other people think of what I watch. (I’m just sayin’)

6. One movie you hated: Wing Commander

7. One movie that scared you: Fight Club (it freaked me out.)

8. One movie that bored you: 2010

9. One movie that made you happy: 50 First Dates

10. One movie that made you miserable: AI (Sad that the robot boy had to wait an eternity(literally) for his mommy)

11. One movie you thought would be great, but it wasn’t: Analyze That

12. One movie you weren't brave enough to see: I’m pretty brave-try me!

13. One movie character you've fallen in love with: Stitch from Lilo and Stitch :)

Everyone is tagged!

13 comments:

Jay said...

I used to live in San Antonio and while we didn't have one of those theaters, there was one up in Austin that I went to a few times. Getting to drink a beer and eat a burger while watching a movie was pretty cool. It was kind of expensive, but still fun.

Bar L. said...

The dinner movie theater sounds very cool! We don't have any around here that I know of.

As for your movie tag...its hard for me to think of answers to all of those but I will think about it and maybe post this weekend.

Arv said...

wow... a dinner theater... but we dont have them here. We do have some good places where we can order some bites delivered to our seats.

Nice meme, I will do it sometime...

50 First Dates - a real fun flick to watch and I adore Drew in this. She looks extra cute :)

Have a good day mate.. Cheers..

A New Yorker said...

Where's your number 5 girlfriend?

Gina said...

This meme looks fun, and I will definitely do it sometime.

Oh, yes, kudos to you for quitting smoking.

I don't even know that those kind of theaters existed ;-), but the idea doesn't appeal to me. Would there be waiters walking around then, and 'covering' your view of the screen? that wouldn't be much fun!

I've seen AI a few years ago, and yes, it's sad to think that that cute robot was waiting for a mommy and had feelings.

I tag myself and will let you know as soon's I've done it.

have a great weekend ahead..

Mike said...

Every theater is a dinner theater. You just have to be creative on how and what you smuggle in.

Hemanth Potluri said...

wow...but out of the box i love "if only" and "P.S .I Love You"..as romantic flicks...and "The matrix " as a futuristic action movie...


but ur dinner theater is quite cool..then wat i actually have in mind :)...

Dawn Drover said...

Dinner theater sounds like fun! You're right... it’s the little things :)

Jessica said...

Jay,
Yeah...sounds cool. My idea of fun, a beer, or a glass of wine...some dinner and a good movie. :)

Barbara,
I thought this was a neat meme! :)

Arv,
lol...Drew-she does look cute in that movie! I saw you did the meme, I'm going to check it out in the morning! :)

Lauren,
Look again...my answer to 5 is that there is no answer... bc I'm not embarrassed by any movie I've seen! :D

Thanks Gina,
Yeah, for some, I guess the waiters would be a distraction, but I think for the most part you place your order before the movie starts, so there is not too much talking, and walking around. :)
I'll never watch AI again...it just hit me that hard!

Mike,
Yeah, smuggling is good for snacks, but I like to be waited on...much more fun! :)

Humu,
Hope you are feeling better! Matrix is one of my faves too! :)

Dawn,
If you have one in your area you should check it out. It's a different movie going experience. :)

MYM said...

I love going to dinner theatre.
A friend of mine works as a sound tech at one and always gets us seats. A group of us go ever couple of months. Saw Cabaret the last time, it was top notch.

Jessica said...

Drowsey,
Cool! :D Sounds like fun!

Reflections Magazine editor said...

Hi Jessica

Loved this meme. I just posted mine and linked back to yours. :)

Jessica said...

Hi Fearless,
Cool! :) I will check it out.