Sunday, January 31, 2010

About Gratitude

I've been thinking about gratitude a lot lately. About being thankful for and enjoying the small stuff in life -- not just accepting the good and bad things that come about, but being grateful for both equally. It may be hard some days, but it helps to know that the good as well as the painful aspects of life are there to help us grow in much needed ways. That alone is reason enough to approach each day with gratitude.

Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow. ---Melody Beattie

12 comments:

Just SO said...

That is one of my all time favorite quotes.

Hemanth Potluri said...

now i have smile reading thi post jessi :)...i am gratitude to everyone as u all are my close friend and accepting me as ur friend :)..
urs..hemu..

Anonymous said...

I just read your fantastic post here. I am re posting it on http://www.facebook.com/gratefulnation. It seems like we are both fans of the attitude: “Gratitude is good for you.” Grateful Nation is an online community that gives grateful people the opportunity and resources to connect, give back, and be thankful. Jump into the unending cycle of gratitude here at Grateful Nation Thank you, Vanessa

Jessica said...

Just So,
I know, right? I just love it too! :)

Hemu,
Same goes, man! :)

Welcome Vanessa,
Thanks so much for the re-post and for introducing me to Grateful Nation! It's a wonderful idea! :)

Speedcat Hollydale said...

Nice!

I have found that we as people are always comparing are best moments with the worst, and set this imaginary "happy" spot on the graph somewhere in between. To actually be aware of what we are blessed with can be hard sometimes. That is why it is so important to consciously account for them on a daily basis.

Big smile from SpeedyCat :-)

Jessica said...

Thanks Speedy! I agree! :)

Bar L. said...

Hi Jess!

Great quote, very true.

BSOB said...

honestly - i love being grateful, not just because things can be so terrible or to balance out life, but just because i truly am grateful for so many people, places, events and things. As well as being grateful for awareness or feelings.

Word Up!

Jessica said...

Hi Barb--Thanks! :)

Welcome Ben--thanks for stopping by! Come back anytime! I agree with you and I think being grateful for awareness is where it all starts from--at least for me! :)

Mike said...

I'm grateful my bowels are regular. Sometimes too regular.

It's nice not to be plugged up, you know?

Jessica said...

Mike,
See-funny--not lame! lol I'm grateful for the laugh!

Ferd said...

Jess~
This was a particularly special post for me. It is as true to your blog's title, "Thoughtful Reflections," as it is to mine. That's why I have linked to this post on my sidebar, with all the proper cred of course! I hope you don't mind.
Peace, my friend!