Sunday, October 25, 2009

Thinking of Getting My Nose Pierced...

Just a stud, not necessarily a ring. Any thoughts?

A history of nose piercing, courtesy of here.



NOSE PIERCING HISTORY
Leonardo Da Vinci believed that the nose set the character of the whole face.

Nose piercing was first recorded in the Middle East aproximately 4,000 years ago, it is mentioned in The Bible in Genesis 24:22 Abraham requested his oldest servant to find a wife for his son Isaac, the servant found Rebekah, and one of the gifts he gave her was a "golden earring" the original Hebrew word used was Shanf, which also translates as "nose-ring".

This practice is still followed among the nomadic Berber and Beja tribes of Africa, and the Bedouins of the Middle East, the size of the ring denotes the wealth of the family. It is given by the husband to his wife at the marriage, and is her security if she is divorced.

Nose piercing was bought to India in the 16th Century from the Middle East by the Moghul emperors. In India a stud (Phul) or a ring (Nath) is usually worn in the left nostril, It is sometimes joined to the ear by a chain, and in some places both nostrils are pierced.

The left side is the most common to be pierced in India, because that is the spot associated in Ayuvedra (Indian medicine) with the female reproductive organs, the piercing is supposed to make childbirth easier and lessen period pain.

In the west nose piercing first appeared among the hippies who travelled to India in the Late 1960's. It was later adopted by the Punk movement of the late 1970's as a symbol of rebellion against conservative values.

15 comments:

Bar L. said...

YES! Do it! I think it would look really cool!!!

Anonymous said...

Hehe...I think it would look nice. Personally though, I never wanted to pierce my nose...because it is part of the Indian culture and I rebel against everything Indian. Did you know though...south Indians (at least Tamilians) pierce the right side of the nose versus north Indians. I don't know how that came about though...whether it was meant to discriminate or not.

Hemanth Potluri said...

yes may be :)...in india lot of girls have it :)..

urs..hemu..

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I dunno, I am not piercing person myself, more of a tat person...

Malcolm said...

I say go for it!

Ferd said...

you hippie rebel, you...
; )

Roshan said...

Might be really cool to try it. 20 years ago when I was 13 I was just waiting to turn 18 so I could go get my ears pierced and wear a stud. A few years later, I wasn't really interested in them and so far I haven't done it. What I want is a tattoo but I can't find anyplace good that will do it for us.

Unknown said...

Ouch. I'd vote for no, but that would be because I don't like pain. :)

ani_aset said...

cool idea..post pics when done :)

streetsmart said...

nose piercing is fine, looks cool for hippie guys and gals, say no with tongue piercing though.

jackie said...

do it :)

Unknown said...

I love nose rings! I my husband were open minded at all, I'd have done it a long time ago!!! :) I agree, stud would look awesome.

Jessica said...

Thanks guys! I'm thinking December may be the month! :) I'm probably going to order a fake one just to test it out first!

Jessica said...

I'm SICK of F'ing spammers!!!! :P

Anonymous said...

I searched for something completely different, but found your website! And have to say thanks. Nice read. Will come back.