Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Ben Franklin and LibriVox


Thanks to a post by Hawg, I found LibriVox. The provide free auto books from the public domain. In their words-"Acoustical Liberation of Books in the Public Domain."

So, I spent my afternoon listening to poems by Emily Dickinson, and the first three chapters of Ben Franklin's autobiography.

Franklin's book is one that I picked up a few years ago, and was very excited about. At the time, School was absorbing every spare second, and left me no room for pleasure reading. :(

Needless to say I am excited about my afternoon discovery! You should check LibriVox out too...it's a great way to feed your brain while you're working.

Tell me, what are your thoughts about audio books? Do you use them? Like/Dislike...etc

11 comments:

Bar L. said...

I love the idea of them but I find them impractical because I am usually doing something else while listening and will lose my train of thought. In a book you can turn the page back and re-read but on an audio your kind of stuck, and that frustrates me. But I will check out Librivox, it sounds really cool.

A New Yorker said...

Sounds interesting...no pun intended.

gary rith said...

You've gotta be kidding? What a great tip!

Arv said...

never used them before.. will give it a try :)

have a nice day... cheers...

Jeff said...

I've tried them, but like Layla, if I'm going to "listen" to a book instead of reading it then I probably will be doing something else which means I don't pay adequate attention to the book. I just perfer to read books.

Jeff said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I tried them a few years ago, but found I was distracted. But it could have been the book. Maybe I will check it out and see how it works. Maybe I will start with poetry.

Hemanth Potluri said...

hmmmm..let me try and come bac and comment again...

urs..hemu..

Jessica said...

Barb,
It’s pretty cool! I do get distracted though, but my job is pretty much a no brainer…so I need a bit of mental stimulation while I’m at work. :)

Lauren,
lol-check it out! :)

Gary,
Listen while you create…I highly recommend it! :)

Arv,
You should! :)

Jeff,
Welcome, thanks for stopping by! :)
I prefer paper books as well, but it’s such a neat concept!
Stop by anytime!

Vixen,
I had an easier time with the poetry because it was shorter and easier to start over. I think starting with that is a good idea! :)

Ok Hemu! :) I think you will enjoy the site.

Malcolm said...

I can't say that I like or dislike audiobooks because I haven't tried them. I did go to LibriVox and liked what I saw. This will be a good opportunity for me to give audiobooks a try. Thanks for the info!

Jessica said...

Malcolm,
No prob! It's a cool site. :)